Selle Italia Flite 1990 - Road Test

Take Flite
photos Cycling Art




I came to the conclusion (during the holidays) that after 27 years of loyal service my cracking and peeling San Marco Rolls was due for a change. So, with careful consideration, I went for the Selle Italia Flite 1990. I received my Flite, promptly from one of my favorite online shops, last week and today finally put it to use. The weather was warm (10C) - perfect conditions for a test ride.

The Selle Italia Flite 1990, is a throwback to... well the 1990s. It's very svelte, the lightest saddle I've owned (230g), wrapped in genuine leather, and has hollow titanium rails. Its distinctive nose is cut deep to avoid chafing, wide rear slightly raise section that is quite comfortable. I understand that plenty of riders love this saddle, over the years, pushing it to iconic status. This saddle started the lightweight saddle revolution in 1990.








On to my 40km ride - I threw in a few hills, downhills and long fast flat sections to use the full length of the saddle. I happily discovered a slight recess in the middle that encourages my rear into a comfortable position.

I'm further impressed that it was very easy to put on to my Nuovo Record seat post. This seat post is adjusted with two bolts on the top. A position that requires 10mm wrench and plenty of patience with my now retired San Marco Rolls. Or really, for that matter, any of the other retro saddles that have the familiar tear drop in the middle. I'm glad to say I USED to tear and lift the side whilst wedging my wrench and trying to tighten the two top bolts. Well, no more with the Flite. It is ingeniously cut high, far easier to get at the two adjustable bolts. I know, you are probably wondering why I don't just simply get a seat post with bottom adjustment? Well - that's far too easy I'd rather, for now, continue on with my Campagnolo Nuovo Record seat post.


Let's face it, I can only take one change at a time... welcome the Selle Italia Flite 1990!




I'm keen for taking the Flite on longer excursions!





Comments