My journey will end here in Spain




The Vuelta a Espana starts this Saturday August 14 and among the possible favorites is Fabio Aru. Fresh from second place in the Vuelta Burgos, Aru will share captain duties with Sergio Henao in the Qhubeka team in the absence of the injured Domenico Pozzovivo. The Sardinian has had a tough three years and looks forward to a mountainous route. Aru will ride his six Vuelta, with two-stage victories in 2014 and the overall victory in 2015.

Eager to be closer to his family, Fabio Aru (31 years old) announced today that he would end his career after the La Vuelta. 

"I always have good memories in Spain, in 2014 I fought with champions like Contador, Froome, Purito, and Valverde, and that was a great experience for me. In 2015 I won it and it was a success that changed my life. I love Spain. I love the passion the people from Spain have for cycling. I think they also love me, my characteristics as a rider, and my way of racing. The Parcour in general, all the stages and big climbs in Spain I always enjoy a lot.   

This year, I have had a new start with a new team, which has a great Ubuntu spirit which I am part of and new goals. This has allowed me to get that good feeling back on the bike, from GP Lugano until Burgos, which I am very happy about. I will give 100% at La Vuelta, actually even more than 100% for this team.

I've been racing my bike for 16 years and for over a decade as a pro, but now is the time to put other things in my life, my family, first. I want to pay a special tribute to Team Qhubeka NextHash Within our organisation we speak about the spirit of Ubuntu - I am because we are - and this sense of togetherness, at a time when the world needs it most, has been amazing for me to be a part of.

I will continue to ride my bike because it is what I love to do but for now I'm focused on riding the Vuelta a Espana to the best of my ability with my Team Qhubeka NextHash teammates: and it's fitting that my journey will end here in Spain, a place and a race where I have incredible memories."


-Fabio Aru


"It's a pleasure to see him come back to form just before La Vuelta. Fabio Aru has left us fond memories when he was one of the great protagonists. As Alberto Contador said, he is a brave man. In full possession of his means, he offers spectacular cycling. He is completely in the spirit of La Vuelta."

-Javier Guillén. Vuelta director.


2021 La Vuelta route


Look back: Sean 'King' Kelly, 1988 La Vuelta: 2 stage wins and the overall




Comments