The Higuita Monster and the Flandrien Eritrean

Making the break stick


"We knew that the break would have a good chance today. In Cambrils I decided to launch my sprint 100 metres ahead of the line, but Carapaz was that extra bit stronger and won the stage. I'm very happy with my performance today, especially because I'm now going into the last day in the leader's jersey. But tomorrow will be an explosive stage, so we'll have to be ready for anything."
-Sergio Higuita


 






It took an exceptional fifth-place performance at the E3 Classic Harelbeke by Biniam 'Bini' Girmay, to give him favorite status for Gent Wevelgem. The young rider from Eritrea was in Harelbeke for the first time in his life at the start of the real Flemish cobblestone classic. Harelbeke stands proud and with good reason, calling themselves the mini version of the Tour of Flanders. His Harelbeke fifth-place was the best result in a Flemish World Tour classic for Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert, one week before his 22nd birthday. 


"People were screaming my name everywhere, I felt like at home! It was a fantastic race, but incredibly difficult. Races with short and steep hills suit me really well, but I didn't ride on cobbles since the world championships in Leuven last September. I never rode on the Paterberg or the Kwaremont before. Positioning was crucial and without any knowledge of the course it wasn't easy for me. I came here to gain experience and thanks to my teammates I was able to follow the moves on the key moments and achieve a top five. 

I will be at the start of Ghent-Wevelgem this Sunday, before returning to Eritrea to prepare for the Tour of Italy, my first Grand Tour. The program we established enabled me to take a victory and achieve nice results in races of the highest level, so I'm convinced that we are on the right way. I loved the cobbles and it is my dream to add more classics like these in my program in the future.

I came to E3 to learn and I leave with a top 5. I love cobbles, I loved the race. See you on Sunday for Gent-Wevelgem!"
-Biniam Girmay

"What Biniam did was extraordinary. We did not expect such a young rider to perform like this in his first Flemish classic, against the best in the world!"
-Aike Visbeek. Performance Manager




Comments