Mont Ventoux Challenge, Tour de Suisse: Stage 3

 


Michael Woods had to settle for second at the Mont Ventoux Challenge after a strong performance. With four kilometers to go he was joined by Domenico Pozzovivo in the final kilometers, Woods was out-kicked by neo-pro Lenny Martinez, but ensure his first podium of the year. 

Bad weather meant that the original 153km with a double Mont Ventoux ascent was reduced to 98km, the climb was 24.5km at 4.9 percent.

"I really thought I had a good shot at winning, but I just didn't play my cards as well as I could have. With the shortened stage and headwind it didn't really suit me, but I'm pleased that my form is really good. I just need to do some final touches and I'll be there to win. I wish I could have finished it off a bit better, but I can't really be too disappointed with a second place."

-Rusty Woods

“We took responsibility for leading the race from the start and I think we raced very well. Michael showed very good shape and I tried to help him in the steeper last two kilometers of the climb. I think even though we didn’t win we can be happy about our performance today and confident for the upcoming Tour de Occitanie.”

-Domenico Pozzovivo

"When Woods attacks you and you follow him every time, you think twice before counterattacking."

-Franck Pineau. DS Groupama FDJ

"I saw the 100-meter sign, and I said to myself, I have to go now. There was the last tight turn, and then it was about the final kick. This is my first victory, and it's at the top of Mont Ventoux, which is a historic climb!"

-Lenny Martinez







Comments