Rui Costa: Basque Country victory

A fine win in the Basque Country.

 Rui Costa takes a superb stage win from a three men sprint. He gives Intermaché-Circus-Wanty a third victory in La Vuelta in three participations, after Louis Meintjes (2022) and Rein Taaramae (2021). With his fourth victory of the season, the 36 year old rider won his first stage win of his career in La Vuelta, ten years after his last success in a Grand Tour in the Tour de France 2013.

"Intermarché-Circus-Wanty believed in me from the last day. That's what enabled me to shine immediately in the beginning of the season and to capitalize my good form in spring. When the sports director proposed me to chase a stage victory in the Tour of Spain I didn't hesitate. I invested a lot in my preparation to maintain my level. After several breakaway attempts in this Vuelta I finally succeeded today. This victory is extremely important for me and for the team. Huge efforts are made behind the scenes, which is not seen by everybody. It is a reward for all this hard work. This victory will bring the whole team a lot of satisfaction, we deserve it!"

-Rui Costa




Comments