La Vuelta: Brenner holds off Buitrago on Sierra de la Pandera summit

 


Stage 14: Andalucia mountains. 154.4km Jaen - Sierra de la Pandera. More than 4100m of vertical ascent. 

“I cannot really believe it. Until now I was not feeling like myself, and I was struggling with some sickness early in the race and had a crash. But I really wanted to show myself, but also my teammates who have been working really hard for me the whole time that I can be up there. 

‘Also today I had two guys with me in the breakaway that did a super job. On the final climb I could actually feel that I have the kick, and I felt better and better throughout the day, and in the end I started believing in it. 

‘I made the move, and Santiago passed me, but I could catch up, and then in the end I could beat him in the sprint.

“There’s not many cyclists who achieve a stage within a Grand Tour, and to add this to my palmares is really amazing.”

-Marco Brenner (Tudor Pro Cycling). Only his second WorldTour win, GC victory at the Tour de Pologne last month. It was also the first Grand Tour stage win for the Tudor Pro Cycling team. 

Comments