La Vuelta:Omzel’s PlayStation victory ToB: stage 2

 


Slovenian youngster Jakob Omzel (Bahrain Victorious) has won the 12th stage of the Vuelta at Calar Alto. The 20-year-old claimed victory at eh tour’s highest mountain finish from a breakaway group, capping off his first win on the international stage. 

He attacked with more than 11 kilometres of the final climb remaining and held off the remains of the day’s breakaway all the way to the finish to win by nearly two minutes. The Bahrain Victorious team had a doubly good day with fellow breakaway Santiago Buitrago taking the mountains jersey. 

“I know how much work I’ve put in, so I knew this day would come sooner or later. But I didn’t expect it to happen in my first Grand Tour. I’m not even completely exhausted; I still feel good. 

The team is working brilliantly too. We said that we’re playing PlayStation and that’s what we’re doing at the moment, what we want. We go into the breakaway with Pello (Bilbao), Santi (Buitrago) and other guys, it’s just amazing and I’m really proud.”

-Jakob Omzel





Comments