We Knew Then: Adidas Eddy Merckx


The Eddy Merckx by Adidas...


Back in the early eighties, my first pair of cycling shoes was the Adidas Eddy Merckx. I remember having to hammer in tiny nails to hold the cleat in position. Always a hit and a miss with this crude system. Hard to adjust, remove the tiny nails to reposition the cleat. Then they came up with the brilliant idea of hex bolts that made it very easy.

I loved how well they fit. Even with laces I had to tuck them in so that it wouldn't loosen on me. Wearing them you felt like a champion, the shoes were iconic with the strong bold 3 stripes ...so Eddy!



Comments

Empidog said…
Classic Rich...Hows the bike build coming along ? taking yer time aren't you...!!!! Cheers
Richard said…
I'm on Marinoni time! It's coming...
Jim said…
It's funny, but I wore those Adidas shoes in the 70s and loved them. I didn't know at the time Eddie wore them too. I loved them, because the leather was top notch, they were comfortable and durable. I attached mine a different way, though. I got tired of the nails coming loose, so I drilled and counter sunk holes in the soles where I wanted the cleats and used flat head bolts (the heads were under the insole) and nuts. I could easily change worn out cleats by unscrewing the bolts.
Richard said…
Brilliant! DIY, makes so much sense. I kept on losing those damn little nails...