Today was absolutely a beautiful day for a ride (sunny, windy & 5˚C).
In a way, a first test for my new rear mudflap. As you see the road conditions were mainly dry. Of course, there were huge sections of roads with plenty of water/road grime to happily negotiate through.
Carolle and I designed it measuring 7 inches long and 3 inches wide. It's 4 mil ply. You can make it longer if you choose. The natural bend of the fender presented a concern of how it would sit. Coroplast is a rigid corrugated plastic that is 100% waterproof. You can purchase it at most art supply shops.
Carolle's expertise working with the material for the special events industry was an asset. We decided a thin piece (that sits on the flat channel inside of the fender) of coroplast inlayed 3 inches and glued (hot glue gun needed). No bolts, zip ties or rivets needed. We cut the mudflap so it's one piece for strength.
To fit around the natural curve of the fender, Carolle scored the plastic stopping 2 inches from the base. We used an Xacto blade (make sure it's sharp or it won't cut) gliding along the edge of a steel ruler being careful not to cut through the plastic. Having the coroplast as flat as possible, at the base, is important to deflect as much of the spray from the faces of fellow riders.
After my windy ride I had a closer look and the mudflap hung in there solidly and looking at the grime collected... it did it's job!
The Coroplast was scored, so it will fit the
curve of the fender.
The white coroplast is also very visible!