Friday File: Kick at the Can, Tuft Win, London Calling & MEC Bikefest with a hint of Moser

Mud & Spirit...
Francesco Moser 1985 Paris-Roubaix.



Friday File time, and lot's to talk about...

First, a kick at the can... the Montréal Canadiens can that is. Now, what does the Montréal Canadiens have to do with cycling? Well, nothing related, but for me I'm a long time fan. Ok, please don't remind me of their lousy season from hell! During hockey season, whilst the rain falls, my bike lies for a dry day and I follow the Habs. Yesterday Carolle and I was out shopping and she spotted this Canadiens can for an unbelievable price of... $2 bucks. Of course, I bought it and I'm thinking add ice and beer... the perfect beer cooler!


Add ice & beer...
Looking towards next season!


Congratulations are in order to Svein Tuft for winning his fifth consecutive Canadian National Time Trial Championship! Now, an astounding eight in total in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec. Tuft ride ripping through the 39 kms course in 47:25 Orica GreenEdge teammate, Christian Meier took silver and Hugo Houle (Team SpiderTech) the bronze.


LONDON CALLING: Not only is Ryder Hesjedal the leader for Garmin Barracuda for this Tour, he is named to represent Canada for the road and TT at the London Olympics. I must admit I'm happy and a bit surprised Svein Tuft was not picked because of his superior TT strength. It seems like Hesjedal has plenty to ride with the Tour (June 30-July 22) ahead for him and little time for rest for the Olympic road race (July 28) & the time trial (Aug 1). Still, he is the 'ryder' of the moment and will be in with all guns blazing. I'm not counting him out!

Hesjedal said, "I am honoured and excited to represent Canada in the Olympic Games. It is my hope that the sport of cycling continues to grow in Canada and that the spirit of the Olympics shines an even greater spotlight on it. I am extremely proud to represent Canada."

LONDON CALLING!


Also, 39 year-old Clara Hughes, who won the National Time Trial Championship, is going to London to ride the road race and time trial. Joining this amazing rider who rides for Specialized Lululemon will be Joelle Numainville and Denise Ramsden. Numainville will ride the road race and Ramsden both road and time trial races. Today, Ramsden became the Women's National Road Race Champion with Hughes in second. It's looking good for the Canadian women and we certainly have a huge chance to medal in both races.

Tomorrow is the MECBikefest, and Carolle and I are ready and eagerly waiting for our first show of the season. This annual bike family fun event is a celebration of the bike and Red Dots Cycling will be there with new products! If you are around, come over and see us, it's at the Athlete's Village, Vancouver June 23rd, 10-3pm!

MUD & SPIRIT: And to close, Francesco Moser. Why? I wrote a post on his 1975 Tour (his first and only) and I want to add another fabulous photo of him in his favorite race... Paris-Roubaix!

Comments