Your Tour Guide... Steve from Oxford!



I haven't traveled to England...

This is a discovery for me, after watching this wonderful Youtube video, 'Pedal em Oxford' from ESPN Brasil of cycling in Oxford UK with my friend Steve Reynolds.

Let me see, Carolle and I have known Steve ever since we started selling our rubber inner tube products... a few years ago now. We knew that he was someone special after sending us a pic of himself wearing a santa hat and proudly holding his Piccolo pouch. Steve introduced me to the famous Flavio Zappi, that's the man that rode in the 1984 Giro and came up second to Laurent Fignon in the KOMs classification. I contacted him and mentioned back in 1984, after my visit to Pinarello in Treviso, I bought a Metaurmobili team jersey. In fact, he rode for the team and tirelessly worked for Lucien Van Impe and Johan Vandevelde. He was a little envious that I had a Metauromobili jersey, he lost his throughout the years and he said I reminded him to contact his old director sportif for a possible replacement jersey. I hope he found one.


Back in the day...
Flavio in the Green jersey, 1984 Giro
photo: Sirotti


Today, Flavio runs Zappi's Cycling Club and last year, graciously sent me a jersey, mussette & cap that I covet on my rides. Steve and Flavio made me an honorary member of the club, I believe I'm the only Canadian of the club.

Since then Steve has been a supporter (sent me the EstaThe banner) and more than that, I consider him a friend that I would love to go for a ride with and also enjoy a Zappi's espresso or a local pint.

It's great to discover this video of Oxford tour guide, Steve and to hear him speak. Bear in mind, I've only corresponded with Steve through email and Facebook, so I haven't heard him speak... until now. I feel that I have a cycling mate in Oxford.

Perhaps one day I can take the Oxford tour ... with him!

Comments