The Gospel According to Jens & Cav Hits a Century




Jens Voigt fooled the sprinters, took them out of the game, and attacked inside the last 5km to win stage 5.

I've been looking for some famous last words, and I think found it. The gospel according to Jens...

"That move, basically, since many, many, many years. Almost since the last ice age I've been doing the same move. Sometimes, like in Colorado (2012 USA Pro Challenge), I do it with 140 kilometres to go, and today, with five to go. They know what my plan is. They know I cannot win a sprint. They know I have to be alone. You've got to catch them by surprise. They watch each other. Peter Sagan looks at Hushovd; Hushovd looks at Tyler Farrar. And they go, 'yeah, it's just old Jensie, let him go.

It's almost like a voice talking in your head. 'Go now. It's now or never. It's now, it's now'. And then you listen to that voice. And I think maybe they underestimated me and they say, 'Oh, he's going to die out there. He's going to slow down.' And, yeah, it played in my favor. I guess I'm allowed to say, every now and then, I do still have a little bit of go power... And once I'm out there, once I can see and smell this victory, it's hard to get it away from me."

I'm glad we have Jens Voigt still riding. He animates the race with his high spirits - the man is 41 years old. When asked what rider he'd tap to replace him, he said: " I think it would take maybe two persons. One to do the funny part, and one to be the bike rider."


Slick and classy win, and NO it's not time for retirement... Jensie!



Stage 5, Santa Barbara-Avila Beach, 185.7 km:


1Jens VOIGTGERRLT4:41:16
2Tyler FARRARUSAGRS+6
3Thor HUSHOVDNORBMC+6
4Peter SAGANSVKCAN+6
5Michael MATTHEWSAUSOGE+6
6Jay MCCARTHYAUSTST+6
7Alexander CANDELARIOUSAOPM+6
8Michael ROGERSAUSTST+6
9Markel IRIZAR ARANBURUESPRLT+6
10Tejay VAN GARDERENUSABMC+6





GC after Stage 5:

1Tejay VAN GARDERENUnited StatesBMC21:55:32
2Michael ROGERSAustraliaTST+42
3Javier Alexis ACEVEDO COLLEColombiaJSH+50
4Matthew BUSCHEUnited StatesRLT+1:04
5Philip DEIGNANIrelandUHC+1:17
6Cameron MEYERAustraliaOGE+1:29
7Mathias FRANKSwitzerlandBMC+1:35
8Francisco MANCEBO PEREZSpain5HR+1:53
9Chad HAGAUnited StatesOPM+2:03
10Lawson CRADDOCKUnited StatesBLS+2:22








Stage 12, Longarone-Treviso, 134 km:

1Mark CAVENDISHGBROPQ3:01:47
2Nacer BOUHANNIFRAFDJ+0
3Luka MEZGECSLOARG+0
4Giacomo NIZZOLOITARLT+0
5Brett LANCASTERAUSOGE+0
6Manuel BELLETTIITAALM+0
7Roberto FERRARIITALAM+0
8Sacha MODOLOITABAR+0
9Ioannis TAMOURIDISGREEUS+0
10
Francisco José VENTOSO ALBERDI





GC after Stage 12:
ESPMOV
+0








1Vincenzo NIBALIItalyAST46:28:14
2Cadel EVANSAustraliaBMC+41
3Rigoberto URAN URANColombiaSKY+2:04
4Robert GESINKNetherlandsBLA+2:12
5Michele SCARPONIItalyLAM+2:13
6Mauro SANTAMBROGIOItalyVIN+2:55
7Przemyslaw NIEMIECPolandLAM+3:35
8Benat INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGASpainMOV+4:05
9Domenico POZZOVIVOItalyALM+4:17
10Rafal MAJKAPolandTST+4:21




Comments