Stage 15, Giants of Seymour/Ventoux & Grimpeurs

Approaching the summit of the 'Giant' of Mount Seymour,
note the marker. My time just over an hour.
Courtesy Guy Wilson-Roberts



We started early to try to avoid the heat of our climb to Mount Seymour. It was already quite warm as our Sunday Bastille Day ride; Guy, Mario, Brian, Curtis, Patrick and yours truly tackled Mount Seymour. I quickly found my own rhythm, not as intense as winner of today's Ventoux stage Chris Froome and the rest of peloton, and settled in trying my best impersonation of a grimpeur. 



photos Cyclingart


One rider rode alongside me and gave me compliments on my steel Marinoni remarking on the 'nice blue color' and my Road Holland jersey. I'm glad I wore the 1st generation Hilversium light summer jersey as it wicked my sweat away superbly. Also an advantage is the front full zipper for ventilation as the temperatures began to rise. My ride was slow, steady and sunny as I stopped to eat a banana and take off my helmet. It's not often I have this chance, so I donned on my Red Dots cycling cap -grimpeur style (brim to the rear shielding my neck). 

It took me just over an hour to complete the 12.5km climb, the ugly part wasn't the pain in my thighs but the relentless hoard of horse flies circling me. My average climbing speed was 8 kph slow enough for the horse flies to keep me company, it was demoralizing.


Update: Horse Fly Bites: 11


My inspiration,
 Charly Gaul wore the cycling cap Grimpeur style. And, he was victorious
on Mont Ventoux in 1958.
via 25.media.tumblr.com






 Celebrating Bastille Day; Guy in Domo Frites Virenque style,
Mario in FDJ and Curtis in AG2R.



Grimpeur style cap and
suffering!


A transmission tower greet us as we get closer
to the summit.




It was demoralizing for the contenders except for Chris Froome on his crushing win on top of Mont Ventoux. I was surprised when Froome caught up to his ally Quintana, and didn't allow the Colombian the stage. After all, he is the strongest of the race. I have to confess, I agree with Greg LeMond as he said, "The Tour is over. You can have a bad day, but normally if you're as good as that, you're good all the way through."


Elbows out ready to perform the coup de grace!



Wheelie nice!

Peter Sagan takes advantage after securing his green jersey...
via Cannondale Pro Cycling



Jack Bauer pulls a wheelie at the finish.




Stage 15 (Givors - Mont Ventoux, 242.5km):

1 C Froome (GB) Sky Procycling 5hr 48min 45sec, 
2 N Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team at 0.29sec, 
3 M Nieve Ituralde (Sp) Euskaltel-Euskadi at 1min 23sec, 
4 J R Oliver (Sp) Katusha at same time, 
5 R Kreuziger (Cz Rep) Team Saxo-Tinkoff at 1.40, 
6 A Contador Velasco (Sp) Team Saxo-Tinkoff at same time, 
7 J Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team at 1.43, 
8 B Mollema (Neth) Belkin Pro Cycling Team at 1.46, 
9 L Ten Dam (Neth) Belkin Pro Cycling Team at 1.53, 
10 J-C Peraud (Fr) AG2R La Mondiale at 2.08,





General classification:





1 C Froome (GB) Sky Procycling 61hr 11min 43sec,
2 B Mollema (Neth) Belkin Pro Cycling Team at 4min 14sec,
3 A Contador Velasco (Sp) Team Saxo-Tinkoff at 4.25,
4 R Kreuziger (Cz Rep) Team Saxo-Tinkoff at 4.28,
5 L Ten Dam (Neth) Belkin Pro Cycling Team at 4.54,
6 N Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team at 5.47,
7 J Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team at 6.22,
8 J Rodriguez Oliver (Sp) Katusha at 7.11,
9 J-C Peraud (Fr) AG2R La Mondiale at 7.47, 
10 D Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp at 8.28, 





Comments