In The Fridge: Craft Beer Blast - Bomber Brewing, Barry's New Re-painted Marinoni & Carlos Betancur Is Here

Bomber love.
photo Cycling Art




Today is a special, 'In the fridge' about a few things I embrace; bikes, racing and ... beer.



photo Cycling Art



Saturday was a typical work day, and as lunch approached a decision was made for Fujiya sushi and a first visit to one of the new Vancouver breweries 'hopping' on the new craft beer scene. I first learned of Bomber Brewing on my ride on the Adanac bikeway. A building that was vacant for a time, now painted beige with a striking 'Bomber' logo. That was two months ago and rediscovering them on Twitter and Facebook, I'm happy that they are now open for business. Carolle and I discovered the warm and welcoming confines of the tasting lounge serving food (thanks to Russell, I sampled some delicious homemade chips) and beer on site. After some tasty beer sampling, we decided to purchase two refillable growlers of their IPA and Blonde. New to me, a growler is a refillable bottle. And that means I'll be back for refills. Now, why all this fuss of craft beer?



Inside the tasting lounge overlooking the impressive vats.
photo Cycling Art



There is a craft beer explosion in BC, notably in Vancouver. With no ending in sight may I add. According to the BC Liquor Distribution Branch, micro brewers beer sales shot up 38 per cent last year. Bomber Brewing is just one of many new breweries eagerly opened. In fact, there is a projected number of 80 operating breweries to open by the end of 2014 in the province of BC. Oregon currently has 165 breweries. Can we become the Oregon of the North? I believe we will... Bomber's IPA and Blonde are one of the best I've tasted!



Smart thinking, another reason to love Bomber...
free air. I hope bike racks are next.
photo Cycling Art





Barry's new Marinoni re-paint...


Love the vintage look.
courtesy of Barry Krysko




Barry contacted me last December seeking some advice on re-painting his late eighties Marinoni. I'm always happy to pass along any information concerning my own Marinoni restoration project to help out any fellow Marinoni enthusiast. After emailing Barry with my previous experience he proceeded to contact Cycles Marinoni himself and talked to Simone Marinoni. He wanted to go as old school, like my Marinoni and wanted to go with white bands and old script. Like my 1987 Marinoni, his head badge  and seat tube had the same world champion rings - unfortunately, no longer available from Marinoni. Last week, Barry sent me his new vintage look re-paint and it looks great. Enjoy Barry!





On his way...
Carlos Betancur, Rui Costa & Arthur Vichot.




For French fans, tricolor jersey holder Arthur Vichot won the final stage of the Paris Nice. And, Carlos Betancur became the first Colombian to win the overall. Rui Costa, was unlucky or was it the World Champion curse, with 2 second place finishes and falling on the final stage run in. But still, his second overall is solid enough that he has plenty of opportunity to break the curse. Carlos Betancur was simply too strong, winning two stages, and had the support of his equally strong Ag2R team. And the way he's riding, I won't be surprise if Betancur reaches the top steps in Paris.









Comments