Maglia Rosa: Triumph and Tragedy...





A punishing hilly stage 4 resulted in surprises and frustration for some. A winning ride for Diego Ullisi, Tom Dumoulin takes back the Maglia Rosa and Ryder Hesjedal lost around 30 seconds on his rivals. Also, today I received a fantastic gift from Guy, aptly title, 'Maglia Rosa. Triumph and tragedy at the Giro d'ltalia'. I'm really looking forward to reading this and have already flipped through it and admire all the images - most photos I've never seen before. 









As for Ryder Hesjedal, well he said it best...

"It was fast all day, and definitely in the last 80k or so it was full-on with shorter, complicated climbs. Even on the last climb I was right there and I could see the front and just in the last couple of switchbacks before getting onto the highway a bunch of guys let the wheels go and then all of a sudden no one wanted to help close it. I was bit isolated and a few seconds at the top turned into 35 in seven kilometers. That's the frustrating part, but what can you do?

"It was complicated stage near the end. But I feel that we rode well and did everything right and then still at the end to still lose time eats at you a little bit more. But, the race is long so you can't get too worried about it. If I have the legs I know I can have in the second half of the Giro, then today won't matter. And if I don't have the legs I know I can have, well... today won't matter.

"It was worse the last two years at this stage of the race, but it's more frustrating when you know that you have good legs. But this is also the plus side knowing that I feel good, especially when compared to a couple of weeks ago."


Stage results





Former winner, the Piccolo Prince...

wears the Maglia Azzurra (KoMs jersey).



And cool shoes...

Elia Viviani's custom DMT shoes.




Stage 5, second longest stage (233km)...












Comments