I was better than fourth

 

via BettiniPhoto

"I've got a real bitter taste in my mouth right now because I felt like I was better than fourth today.

It was certainly frustrating, especially because the team rode so well for me. Krists put me in a really good position and I chose not to follow him at the very end because I thought it would be better to slot in and watch where Roglic was.

But that wasn't the original plan. The original plan was for me to stick with (Krists) and I regret not doing that because it put me in a bit of a fight and then I got botched several times, pushed several times, and I ended up in a really bad position, and just couldn't respond when the guys (Roglic and Alaphilippe) went. 

I'm proud of how my legs were, I am proud of the team and we are all looking forward to Liege-Bastogne-Liege. LBL is going to be even bigger for us. It's a monument. No Canadian has ever won a monument and I think that where my legs are it is certainly a possibility for me to do well there."

-Mike Woods. 




"He (Michael Woods) was clearly very strong, but he couldn't make the final he was hoping for. I think the team did a big job all day. Fourth in La Fleche is a great result.

It's always fun to race with fellow countrymen, especially with a guy who was really aiming for the win. And it's even more fun when it's a friend and a guy from back home

-Guillaume Boivin. Israel Start-Up Nation. 137th, 13:52 behind the winner.


La Fleche Wallonne results







Alessandro De Marchi takes fifth place and gain back the blue KOMs jersey.


"Today, I woke up to some very bad news from my home region. A young girl I know had been involved in an accident while she was out training on her bike. I was very motivated to ride for her today I think this gave me a bit of extra strength when I really needed it on the climbs today. This one was for you, Silvia!

Looking at my condition, I'm still not at my best level, but I can feel that I'm on the right path. At the end, we almost closed the gap to the front group, we just lacked a little bit. Anyway, U'm happy with my performance today. I go the KOM jersey back and we'll see how long I can keep it for. We still have two very hard days left here."
-Alessandro De Marchi. 

Tour of the Alps Stage 3




Comments