A dream come true

Guillaume Boivin at the 2021 Tour de Suisse, 58th on GC
 



After over a decade in the professional peloton, 32-year old Quebecer Guillaume Boivin is set to make his first-ever appearance in the Grande Boucle. 

"For me, it's a dream come true being able to go to the Tour de France. It's something every pro cyclist wants to do in their career. All the hard work I've put in is now paying off. I'm really proud to do the Tour with Israel Start-Up Nation, especially with the team we have this year.

My main focus will be to protect our GC guys. Already in the first week, there are some great stages for us. Every Grand Tour is always very stressful in the opening week but from what I hear, it's even more hectic in the Tour. Firstly, I'll focus on getting our leaders safely through the first week, and then, I'll see how the race evolves."

Boivin has raced with Woods, notably in the Ardennes Classics, the Tour de Romandie, and the Tour de Suisse, believes that the chemistry necessary for good teamwork already exists between them and that trust reigns. 

"Mike has 100% confidence in me that I can bring him safely without him having to try too hard. After each step, I analyze how I could have done different things to help him or not and you really start to have good chemistry and a good understanding of how you move in the peloton. We want a stage victory, but also to see what a guy like Mike Woods can do in the GC."

-Guillaume Boivin. 


At the moment there is still a spot to be taken on the Canadian men's road cycling team for the Tokyo Olympics. Hugo Houle (Astana) and Mike Woods will be there, and with a good performance in the Tour de France, Guillaume Boivin could complete the trio. 

But now the Tour de France is first.


"Guillaume has had a strong season and he will be one of the main helpers for our GC riders in this Tour. The plan is for G to stay close to Mike (Woods), keeping him out of trouble while also helping to set up him - or one of our other leaders - for a potential stage win. He's an important part of our selection."

-Rik Verbrugghe. Sports Manager


ISN's Tour team...



Comments