I'm proud with how I raced & Mastermind of my performance

 



Riders battled 30 C heat, humidity on a hilly  234-kilometre, six-hour-plus sufferest that was a decent shot for Mike Woods at becoming the first Canadian male to win an Olympic medal on the road since Steve Bauer won silver in 1984. Richard Carapaz created a late-race surge to ride away with the gold medal, Woods was in a small chase group that eyed each other in the closing metres.  The former wearer of the coveted polka-dot jersey in this July's Tour was marked and reeled back and eventually finished a gallant fifth. 

"I think that's the problem with me being a strong climber now, being recognized. I'm being marked a lot more. And it's a lot more difficult to sneak away. I'm disappointed I didn't medal today, because I felt like I was one of the strongest guys. But I'm proud with how I raced.

"We will have to see what the course in Paris is like. I will be 38 at the next Olympics, So it's difficult to say. But this has me all the more motivated and if the course in Paris is challenging, I will be there I think."

-Mike Woods


"To finish fifth in the Olympics with the names in front of him, it's quite amazing. There's not many Canadians who've reached that level in the past. It's great for Cycling Canada to be up there in front and show that we are competitive at the highest level. I hope it's going to inspire a lot of kids to go on a bike. And hopefully, we can build the program to have the next generation of Michael Woods in the coming years."

-Hugo Houle


Olympic Games Men's Road Race Results






The worthy underdog winner in the limelight
 

"Thanks to everybody who believes in me - you were my motivation when the going got tough. Thanks to those who doubt me - to prove you wrong was just as much motivation. I had a plan to attack. I didn't plan to win, but I wanted to leave my life on the road.







"But I planned the race, I looked at the time, at the time where I might pass at some kilometres, how much food I have to take in and so on. I planned to attack at kilometre zero and I was happy I could get in front. That is something I could not take for granted because I am not good at riding in the peloton.

"I am happy that I was not too scared and I just went for it. I attacked and with the group we worked more or less together. I saw I was the strongest and I knew I had the climb before the long descent. I'm pretty good at descending so I got some more time and then it was just like a time trial to the finish.
-Anna Kiesenhofer. 30-year-old Austrian mathematics lecturer, a former triathlete who does not ride professionally and national time trial champion.








Look back: Daniel Morelon, double Olympic Sprint champion (1968, 1972) 

Comments