A red miracle

 


What a performance for Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert! A colourful first week as Rein Taaramae wears the leader's jersey after his stage win on the Picon Blanco and Odd Christian Eiking now wears red.

"The feeling to be race leader in the Tour of Spain is indescribable, it is something really big! After Rein's fantastic success, this red jersey is a big bonus for the team. I am very happy. This morning I would never have imagined to conclude the stage in red, as I was 9 minutes down in GC. A miracle was necessary for me to become the race leader. But once I was in the breakaway and I realized that the advantage didn't cease increasing, I started to believe in this miracle. I was aware that Guillaume Martin was a strong contender, because he finished 8th in the latest Tour de France. 

I know the qualities of my former teammate. In the end, I managed to react on his attacks and even to gain time on him. This is important for the next days, because I want to defend the jersey as long as possible!"

-Odd Christian Eiking



"Like in the Tour, I jump to the 2nd spot in GC thanks to a long breakaway. I'll keep fighting in the coming days to get the best results possible!"

-Guillaume Martin. Cofidis. 2nd on GC


Stage 10 Results






Look back: 1982 Tour de France.
photo: Harry Gruyaert



Comments