Rochette's steady rise and do as the Euros do

 

Tuesday: Canadian champ, Maghlie Rochette was the runner-up 
in the elite women's race, Hexia Cyclocross Gullegem, Belgium.

A very good week for rising Canadian star, Maghlie Rochette scoring impressive performances in Belgium and the Netherlands. In December the UCI and race organizer Flanders Classics brought the World Cup to Val di Sole, Italy to race on... snow because that's one of the prerequisites the IOC has for a sport to be included in the Winter Olympics. Let's hope this comes true.

Results here


"This year I am maybe more mature and have more experience. We also do as the Euros do and have a motorhome with my own private toilet. I now feel I race to my full potential. Every race I feel it's 100%. Maybe it wasn't enough to win or podium, but I know I did everything I could that day.

It was amazing and really fun. A lot of people thought it would be crazy. I think it never happened we had a deliberate snow course. It was in the mountains and 12 hours from Benelux. People were skeptical and aftaid it would be a running course but it was really good racing. I personally loved the new challenge. It was tricky but also so incredibly beautiful.

After Val di Sole I think we have a shot at becoming Olympic. I have to applaud the UCI for thinking outside the box and to just try it. Sometimes we have blinders on and stick with the same things because we always did it that way. The UCI went out and found a place and an organiztion to try. All together we proved it could happen to have cyclocross at the Olympics." 

-Maghlie Rochette 


Wednesday's fifth round: She then 
took fifth and her best X20 Badkamers Troffee result. Herentals, Belgium

Results here



Third in the snow in December's World Cup, Val di Sole, Italy.

Results here



Comments