Dropped on the Poggio

 

Kamikaze descent...

Milan-San Remo's newest winner is Matej Mahoric. After the race he mentioned he had used a dropper post. It's not entirely new. The technique has been used by many mountain biking professionals for some time. Since 2014, the UCI has allowed its use in the peloton. The main advantage of the dropper post is that as a rider you can lower your center of gravity, handy on steep or technical descents such as that of the Poggio. Because your weight is lower, you make yourself more agile and faster through the turns. In addition, you have more control over the bike and perhaps makes descending safer.

Now, that the dropper post is proven in a race like la Primavera, how about a mountain stage in the Tour? Just like with disc brakes, for example, not everyone was waiting for that in the first place. Although, Mohoric will have made some riders think. Just like he did when he pedaled the top tube (he made the supertuck aero position popular) for the first time and descended to U23 World Cup victory. 


"Congratulations to Matej Mohoric, he deserved the victory: before the race, he told me not try to follow him downhill and I replied that I was aware that it would be very difficult to follow him, since I know that he is crazy when the road goes down and also having noticed that he had a seat post dropper to launch even better. When he overtook me downhill, I saw that he was already taking big risks, drifting and even coming off the road, so I didn't dare follow him."

-Tadej Pogacar


... with the help of the dropper post.


"I was going to the race favorites I know and showing off the dropper. They asked me what I was doing with a dropper and laughed but I warned them that if they follow me on the descent, it's at their own risk. 

-Matej Mohoric

"I am sure that this system will be widely used."

-Sven Nys. Former Cyclocross World Champion  










Comments