Milan-San Remo: The tension is mounting

 


Caleb Ewan, my pre-favorite to win tomorrow's Milan-San Remo, is ruled out with a stomach bug. There are plenty of strong guys hoping to add a monument win to their resume. Milan-San Remo is considered a sprinter's classic although the last bunch finish was in 2016 when Arnaud Demare came out on top. He cannot be counted out...




"It's the longest of the year, you have to know how to manage your energy throughout the day. I like this gradual increase in pressure,  I have benchmarks, and as the kilometers go, the tension is mounting. Already, before my victory in 2016, I enjoyed this race. It will be my tenth consecutive participation, every year I tick this appointment, it is always a goal."

-Arnaud Demare







"If I think about the finish line on Via Roma in San Remo, a lot of memories over the years come to my mind, a few high and a lot of lows. It's been a rollercoaster race for me. I think I struggled a little bit through Tirreno-Adriatico after my crash in Strade Bianche, but to be honest, the shape is much better than I thought, and I think I'll be ready for Saturday."

-Michael Matthews

"I think the big difference in this year's edition, is the presence of two Slovenian, Primoz Roglic and Tadej Pogacar, who potentially can change the race a lot. Roglic is coming in with a working role to help van Aert,  and Pogacar does not want a sprint. I expect a very aggressive San Remo, with a lot of pressure coming down to the Cipressa, because Pogacar it will be too late to wait for the Poggio.

An aggressive San Remo is good for us also, because Michael doesn't want to sprint with the pure sprinters and so a more selective finale is actually better for us."

-Matt White. DS Team BikeExchange Jayco



A man that can sprint and climb is my other favorite, Giniam Girmay. The 21-year-old Eritrean is talented and still learning and developing. He will line up alongside with former winner Alexander Kristoff, which will give Intermarché's chances that extra punch.



Comments