Victory is sweet

 

Verona's Arena's new gladiator

Jai Hindley entered the final stage of the 2020 Giro wearing the Maglia Rosa only to finish runner-up to Tao Geoghegan Hart. The Australian said that second-place finish haunted him for months afterward. No more frustration as he sealed overall victory -  becoming the first Australian rider to win Italy's Grand Tour.

"I had in the back of my mind what happened in 2020 and I wasn't going to let that happen again. I was getting updates and I felt pretty good on the bike. Last year was really, really hard and I really fought hard to be back here. But I didn't know I would be fighting for the win."

-Jai Hindley. He struggled last year with injury and sickness and withdrew midway through the 2021 Giro due to a saddle sore.


"The whole race was very hard and very competitive. Yesterday I had a bad day. It wasn't my day, and that's the small thing that made the difference. You win and you lose. The truth is, this isn't a bad thing. This will give me strength to come back again. Now I have a second objective: the Vuelta but first I need to have a break."

-Richard Carapaz. His contract with Ineos ends in 2022 and he is linked with Movistar and Arkea Samsic. We won't know until August 1st when the riders transfer window opens.


Two years ago, he suffered an accident that required 16 surgeries. Four months ago, he did not have a contract. Today, 39-year-old Domenico Pozzovivo finished 8th overall...

Legend



"It's an amazing feeling, I still have to recognize everything. But I'm really, really happy with the team, we won the first time trial and we won the last day, two TTs. We did really hard work in the winter and this is the result. Basically, the main goal of the day was I put the finish line at the top of the GPM and I said 'I have to give everything until there', then on the descent, I have to give what is left later. It's unbelievable!"
-Matteo Sobrero


A fitting ending for the Shark: Vincenzo Nibali, 4th place overall, wins the best Italian rider award.

 

La Bella Italia










Comments