The great adventure awaits

Antoine Duchesne, aka Tony the Tiger
 

Antoine Duchesne, Canadian rider for Groupama-FDJ was emotional when he learned of his selection for the upcoming Tour de France. His first Tour foray was in 2016, he was 24 years old finishing in 107th place. The following year, his contract with Direct Énergie was not renewed. In 2018 he found a spot on Groupama-FDJ with hopes of returning to the Tour. Injuries, sickness and low morale forced him out in 2019. He even contemplated retirement. But, things started to go well for him, after his first Giro last year, he received good news for the Tour. He proved to his bosses that he was in good shape, contributing to the victory of his teammate Thibaut Pinot in the penultimate stage of the Tour de Suisse. He had brought his leader back in the breakaway to the stage win. After the race, Pinot praised the Quebecer, with whom he has forged friendships in recent years.Pinot was the first person Duchesne called after being informed of his selection. 

Duchesne is a team member first and foremost to contribute to team success. He'll be relied on particularly in the early stages, where he will protect and help Pinot and David Gaudu who should be the designated leader for GC. His outgoing personality probably was a contributing decider.

"They confirmed to me that I was selected for my physical qualities, but it is certain that human qualities and my ability to bring a group together also weigh in the balance. They shattered the dream of two, three other guys who also deserved their place. I really understand their disappointment because I was ready to experience it myself. I'm very happy, but very humble at the same time."

-Antoine Duchesne


Thumbs up for Houle


Fellow Quebecer, Hugo Houle will join his friend Duchesne on July 1st in Copenhagen. Houle will compete his fourth consecutive Tour after the first three with Astana, he'll compete with Israel-Premier Tech and join with compatriot Michael Woods. Houle was a star performer in Jakob Fuglsang's third-place at the Tour de Suisse. 

"Given my performances in the Tour de Suisse (15th), it was obvious that I was part of the Tour. I had to earn my place. I was a bit under pressure. I had to perform, otherwise the result would probably have been different. IPT will be aiming for stage wins in the Tour. I manage to improve a little each year. Hoping that I will be able to seize an opportunity and make the most of it. But at the Tour, there will be no easy ones."

-Hugo Houle. TdF results: 91st-2019, 47th-2022, 66th-2021.

Roommates when they started out in Europe, Houle and Duchesne will now have the chance to share the great adventure of the Tour de France.


Update: Guillaume Boivin will join IPT as a replacement!


"Coming off a super fall season in 2021, I am happy to work with Guillaume to see if he can raise his performances even further. I would consider 'G' one of the veterans that can pull together the team spirit and pull off some top results as an individual."

-Steve Bauer. DS IPT

Canadians at the 2022 Tour de France: Antoine Duchesne (Groupama-FDJ), Israel-Premier Tech: Michael Woods, Hugo Houle, Guillaume Boivin.



Comments