Esteban Chaves: Colombian Champion


 


Esteban Chaves won the Colombian road race national championship Sunday, claiming his first tricolor jersey.

"At this time of the year, we are mostly all together, competing with each other, so it is more level. People just take the bus for ten hours 100% just to see us. So this is pretty special, and competing for the jersey is a dream for everyone growing up, dreaming of wearing the Colombian jersey during the Tour de France for example or during the Giro d'ltalia. The whole season with the Colombian jersey, that is like man, I am the man, I am the boss. It is like, 'Look at me, I am from Colombia.

Wearing the national colors for a year is something I will never forget. Winning here in Bucaramanga was spectacular, the people were crazy. I think today was the day most people shouted my name, that gave me that warmth that made me push until the very end. There are many people who made this possible; my family, my wife. Today somebody special came too, Dr. Sandoval, who, without his help, this wouldn't have been possible. He saved my career."

This is a day to enjoy and now we have to continue working, keep our feet on the ground. The season has just started and now we have to start from zero."

-Esteban Chaves 


1. Esteban Chaves, 2. Daniel Martinez, 3. Nairo Quintana



Comments