Milan-San Remo: The Flying Dutchman


 “A special win in a special race. It’s so difficult to win here. I wasn’t hiding at Tirreno-Adriatico, I just wasn’t on my best level. We had a great week of training with all the team, they did a great job for me. It’s amazing, we will celebrate for sure.

I think everyone knew that this was a race I really wanted to win. The team really wanted to win this one. I am really happy that I succeeded today, especially how I won it. I think it’s one to remember. I felt already good on the Cipressa, and on Poggio as well.

When I looked back, there was nobody else following, and I felt I had an attack in the legs. So I tried to time it perfectly and I managed to find a small gap. I am really happy. For sure it was one of the big goals for the season, a monument is always special.”

-Mathieu van der Poel




Just a single 52T for Wout Van Aert




Grandad Poulidor won in 1961



Comments