Greg Van Avemaet: I can still do great things

In Brittany…

After 43 months, Greg Van Avemaet finally gets his win - in Boucles de l'Aulne. Van Avemaet announced earlier this month that he planned to retire at the end of the season, after 17 years that has seen him win the 2016 Olympic Games road race, 2017: Paris-Roubaix and Gent-Wevelgem, two stages of the Tour de France (2015, 2016) and 2016 Tirreno-Adriatico. His fourth place in the Tour du Finistere on Saturday was a great omen for today's win. 

“I’m very happy. There is emotion. Winning is a really special feeling and it’s been a long time since I’ve put my arms up (his last win was 2019 Montréal GP). It’s what we all look for when we start a race. The French Cup rounds are not easy to read but today we managed perfectly with the team. Bastion (Tronchon) was in front for a long time. In the final pack, Clément (Venturini) attacked very hard and that put everyone in line, it was perfect for me. On a finish like this one, a bit punchy, I can still do great things. And I managed to win. Since the beginning of my professional career, I have done my job 100% every moment. The last few years have not been easy but I have always remained motivated. I’m very happy to raise my arms for the end of my career and I still want to get results. This gives me confidence. Next week, I will be racing the 4 days of Dunkerque. There are two finishes that may suit me. We’ll see how it goes. I already want to enjoy this successful weekend!”
-Greg Van Avermaet 

Comments