It’s not a dream: Davide Bais wins on Campo Imeratore


"When we started nobody thought we were going to have any chance of finishing, not even us. To tell the truth, I had gotten into a breakaway to try to get some points in the mountains classification and to support Fortunato. Then the kilometers passed and we realized that there was a chance to get there, so I tried to reserve myself to give it my all in the end: I still have to realize what has happened, I am living a precious moment, it is my first victory as a professional and I have searched for it with all my might.

In the last kilometer I tried to keep the wheels of Petilli, who was the strongest on the climb, and then I waited for the last meters to sprint. I want to dedicate it to Arturo Gravalos, my girlfriend and my family, and the whole team because we are a group that works well and we really wanted to win. 

And who knows, between now and the end, some of my teammates may give us another victory. I will try to defend this blue jersey as much as possible because it is a beautiful jersey. In the end, Ivan Basso and I hugged and he was also very happy, Ivan and Alberto Contador have always been my idols and having them in the team is something incredible. What did I think of the goal? That it was a dream."

-Davide Bais. Eolo Kometa




Davide Bais won, splendidly at Campo Imperatore, where Marco Pantani had triumphed.


Comments