Bini Rising

 

Intermarché Circus Wanty: Onward to le Tour

Biniam Girmay became the first African cyclist to win a one-day classic at Gent-Wevelgem in March 2022, then followed it up with a historic win at the Giro d'ltalia two months later - the first time a Black African had won a stage at a Grand Tour.

Girmay has not raced a Grand Tour since abandoning the Giro after popping a Prosecco cork in his ey after his historic triumph. He enters the Tour de France with two wins to his name in 2023 from the Volta a la Communitat Valenciana and the Tour de Susie. A third at the Tour would be his biggest yet. 




"When I was young, I never dreamed of participating in races like the Tour de France because I thought it was just white or European people. I didn't think I stood a chance there. When Daniel Teklehaimanot and Merhawi Kudus reached those heights for the first time, it made me think I could also do something. It changed my perspective and had a great impact on my mentality. If we're being honest about the past, there haven't been many Black Africans to compete and win. We only participated, but now to have victories in WorldTour races, makes me proud. It's the first time Black Africans are winning in Grand Tours, which motivates me to work harder and make more history in the future. 

There are many young riders across African countries and there are many who dream of reaching the highest level. It's very important for them to have someone from their own country or from the African continent to win these competitions - just as Daniel did for us. 

His achievements were really important to get us to where we are now. I hope I can be a great example for future riders because the future of African cycling is bright."
-Biniam Girmay


2015 TdF: Teklehaimanot opens the door


Comments