James Shaw, Girmay, vanmarcke retires

 

Stage 7: 73.8 km/h, impressive speeds from Biniam Girmay to become the 

first Eritrean rider to finish in the top 3 of a Tour stage.




“To be honest, I struggled on the first days of the Tour, struggled to take it all in. It is an achievement just to be at the Tour de France, isn’t it? Just to be selected from something in the region of 25ish riders and they can only pick eight. So, just to here in the team is an achievement in itself.”

-James Shaw






Sep vanmarke's last win: 2022 Maryland Cycling Classic.

"When I pinned a number for the first time back in 2003, I never dared to dream about having a professional career. I ended up living that dream for 14 years, with highs and lows. I wasn't the super talent, but with dedication and hard work I was able to compete with the best riders in the biggest races for years. I got to know many people and cultures all over the world and have been to places I never heard of before.

I would have liked to have raced at the highest level for a few more years and achieve more great performances together with IPT in the biggest races. It is very sad and painful to announce the end of my career in this way. At the same time, I am grateful that the problems with my heard were discovered in time. I'm going to take the time now to be with my family, to accept the situation and think about what I want to do in the future. My whole life has been all about cycling. Cycling will always be my passion."

-Sep vanmarcke 

 


Comments