Hugo Houle: The warm up


Quebecer Hugo Houle delivered a strong sprint to third place at the Maryland Cycling Classic. A great performance to secure his first podium spot at a one-day race. Matthias Skejelmose won with a solo attack, Houle was in a three-man sprint with Neilson Powless edging the Canadian out of second place. This race serves as a warm-up for the upcoming GP Cycliste de Québec and Montréal this Friday and Sunday.

"I tried to play it smart and when Toms Skujins went up the road, Powless was the strongest to pull him back and then Trek went again. I was quite good and was able to jump a few times but I couldn't do it alone. Skjelmose went away and we understood that we would be racing for second place. I attacked a few times but the guys were as strong as me and in the sprint, Neilson anticipated it well and I couldn't go around him. I am happy because I had quite a long break as I was sick after Worlds so I didn't know exactly where the shape was, and now, I can take confidence ahead of the Canadian races."
 


After Sep Vanmarcke's win at the inaugural edition of the Maryland Cycling Classic last year, Hugo Houle takes a coveted third place.





Comments