Phil Anderson in yellow


On the 5th stage of the 1981 TdF, Phil Anderson became the first non-European to wear the yellow jersey. Proving it wasn’t a one off, the following year at the 1982 TdF he wore the yellow jersey for an incredible 10 stages. 

“I was basically just a number in the bunch. I wasn’t really a contender or an outstanding rider of any great ability or anything; I was just a rider on the page basically. I didn’t play the role I was meant to but I was reminded by that time it was too late. The team possibly would have preferred that it wasn’t me; that they had Bernaudeau in my place but for me it was certainly a coup for my young career.
 
The European press really got behind me and because of that the public started to follow me as well. They saw me as an underdog and a challenger whereas no one in my situation had ever sort of challenged Hinault or had the guts to. It was just a case of someone coming from the other side of the world and taking on the world’s best. Now, there are people doing it every day whereas back then, it had never been done before. It was a memorable time.”
-Phil Anderson. 



 

Comments