Paris-Roubaix Femmes, Basque Country Stage 6 & John Degenkolb A Sunday in Hell

When you find out you just beat Marianne Vos for third.

"I know it's not a win, but for me, it means a lot. I knew this race suited me. In the end, it was difficult, I just focussed on the sprint. I'm used to doing a bit of track, I harnessed that a bit."
-Pfeiffer Georgi after finishing on the podium.

"It just didn't work out for me in the sprint. I went early and just couldn't push anymore. Georgi came up fast in the sprint. I'm disappointed but I can't have many regrets, I gave it everything. When you're riding for victory and you finish fourth, it hurts."
-Marianne Vos has 250 victories but a Paris-Roubaix victory remains elusive.




 "It's always nervous, you are here with two very fast sprinters, Vos and Balsamo, so you're never sure. One moment I thought, 'now I'm boxed in', and I had to start the sprint pretty early, but I could keep sprinting."
-Lotte Kopecky

"This year it didn't work out but it's the beauty of the race. That's why we love and hate this race. This race has tons of chaos but I always said that if I had a clean run with no crashes or mechanicals, I can win. That happened last year. This year I came down twice, I got pushed over some gravel sections too. If I can pass over the Roubaix crown to a worthy winner, then Lotte Kopecky is the one."

-Alison Jackson 27th place.






Looking ahead...


"It's my 12th Paris-Roubaix. They call it a Sunday in hell and the queen of all classics. I call it my favorite race. I love this course... even if I am far away being a favorite tomorrow especially after yesterdays little crash, I'll enjoy every single cobble... that's for sure."
-John Degenkolb. 2015 champion, 2023 finished seventh. As the 35-year-old approaches his 12th start in Compiegne, he's the second-most experienced rider on the start list, just behind Alexander Kristoff on 13 PRs.


Comments