Giro stage 17: I have good legs

 


Two days ago, on the queen stage, Georg Steinhauser rode to finish third in Livigno. Fast forward, two days later, the German put in a career-defining ride, soloing the last 34km to his first pro win on the Passo Brocon.

“It’s something unbelievable. Already on stage 8, I noticed that I had good legs. I thought maybe I had the legs to win a stage. The queen stage was an unbelievable day. I could have already been happy just with the queen stage of this Giro. And today, already when I rode to the sign-on, I thought to myself, ‘I have good legs, maybe I will win today. I went from the beginning in the break. It was a little strange because we got caught by the peloton again. But at one moment, I decided I have to try again, and it worked out. I was super nervous on the last climb. I knew I had to push all the way to the finish. I heard at one point that he was attacking, but I was already 2 km to go, so I thought, ‘I will make it.’”

-Georg Steinhauser









Comments