TdF stage 9: Champagne Gravel Stage & Gee-performance

 

Anthony Turgis with the escape group

“If I come to the start of a race it’s to win, I’ve won at all levels of racing, all I needed was a World Tour win and winning the Tour de France is the holy grail.”
-Anthony Turgis was the best in the breakaway group winning the highly anticipated gravel stage 9.



"It was only in the last 20 km that I kind of knew we should make it all the way, and even then, we weren't really sure. I tried to give it a big dig on the uphill section into the cross win, but then Jasper Stuyven came with a really good counter and got a gap. Luckily, we managed to bring him back, but we brought him back quite late, so it just ended up in a sprint and I missed out by just a little bit. 

It was a real day out today! Of course, I would have liked to finish a couple of places higher up, but we raced on the front foot all day and I think we can be happy with that. Hopefully, the win will come soon."
-Derek Gee. Third place and goes up to ninth on GC.

"I said to the guys this morning that this is the stage where we go all in and they did. Derek Gee was so strong, Jakob Fuglsang was covering all the moves in the chase group, and behind Pascal Ackermann and the other boys were right up there. We're getting closer. Fourth yesterday, third today, that win is coming."

-Steve Bauer. DS


"I kept my cards close to my chest until the first sector because we knew it was pretty hard after that and if the gap wasn't too big we could maybe bridge. That's what I managed to do with Pidcock. It was a tough old battle to get across and I think we spent a lot of pennies there. As soon as we caught them, we hit the next gravel sector on the steep part. We were in for a hard day then! And from there, it was just a war of attrition with nowhere really for me to make a big difference in the final. Everyone was so knackered. It wasn't just me. When it's flat, it's hard to make a difference. It was always going to be tough, but we gave it a good go and I'm just happy we were there and represented in the finish. We've just got to keep playing our cards and eventually it'll roll our way."
-Ben Healy. Fifth place 


Ninth place for Biniam Girmay





Comments