Tour de Luxembourg stage 3 & Montréal 1974, 2026

David Gaudu in fifth.

“I had a feeling I was the engine of the two (with Formolo) and I wanted to be sure that I didn’t give it away, so I went full-full-full on the last climb. I already did the Vuelta a Espana so I’m not feeling super-fresh, but when the engine is running it doesn’t stop anymore. When I’m alone I can keep going. I knew I had some power left, but to win this way is really nice.”
-Mauri Vansevenant


Montréal 1974, 2026


In 1974 on the Mount Royal circuit in Montréal, the World Road Race Championships were held outside the old continent for the first time, Eddy Merckx and France’s Genevieve Gambillon topped the podium. Fifty-two years later, the event will return, on September 20 to 27, 2026 just one week after the GP Cyclistes de Québec and Montréal, bringing the world’s best cyclists for two weeks in Québec, Canada.


Canadians do not forget their history. The visual identity of the 1974 world championships and the 2026 road cycling world championships in Montréal illustrates this wonderfully. It is clearly inspired by the logo in 1974 (above). Montréal was the first non-European city to host the world road championships. The 2026 road world championships in Montréal are set to be the biggest event since the Olympic Games in 1976. In total, more than a thousand men and women cyclists, coming from more than 75 countries, and 13 events contested in eight days.

 




Comments