CRO Race stage 1, Binche-Chimay-Binche


Final charge to the line in Binche

Biniam Girmay takes another podium finish at the Binche-Chimay-Binche. Over the cobblestones of Binche, it was a thrilling sprint as Girmay finished second behind Arnaud De Lie, securing his sixteenth podium finish of the season. Binche is home to Groupe Wanty and many other sponsors of the Walloon team.

“Bianche-Girmay-Binche is a very important race for Interarché-Wanty. We’re at home here on territory of our sponsors. Every year, it’s a major goal for our team and for me personally. The difficult course caused a lot of chaos in the finale. My plan was to be in the best possible position for the sprint and my teammates helped me immensely. Tactically, we executed our plan perfectly. We took our responsibility from the start by controlling the race, and a powerful lead-out brought me to the finish. I think we handled the sprint finale quite well to achieve this second place. It’s always a special sprint over the cobbles of Binche. I’m happy to reward the team’s fantastic work with a podium finish.”

-Biniam Girmay

“So I was looking forward to Viviani in the last kilometre and I knew he had the strongest lead-out so then I started my sprint a bit earlier than him to take him by surprise and luckily I was strong enough to hold it all the was and no one came around. It was a big headwind but I still I managed to do it.”

-Alexander Kristoff . He powered to victory on the opening stage of the 2024 CRO Race. This is his 95th career win for the 37-year-old Norwegian.






Comments