Carapaz began Saturday’s final mountain stage with a slender one-point lead in the classification, and with the help from teammate Ben Healy drove the early breakaway. Carapaz collecting maximum points on the Cold de la Croix-de-Fer, at Saint-Julien-Mont-Denis, on the Cold du Telegraphe, and atop the Col du Galibier-Souvenir Henri Desgrange, the highest point of this year’s Tour. He collected enough points to give his lead insurmountable before the race hade even reached the final climb to Alp d’Huez.
The resilient climber began the final ascent to Alpe d’Huez with a 20-second advantage over his nearest challenger. He held on all the way to the summit to claim his second stage victory, following his win at Orcieres-Merlette earlier in the race.
“In the end, it was a brutal stage. I was always thinking about the KOM jersey. After we already confirmed it everyone knew I had the jersey, and we all collaborated. Sepp Kuss was , and Jay Hindley also collaborated to maintain the distance from the main group.
“When we entered almost the last climb, it was a bit of head-to-head. I knew they were great riders. The three of us there were all Grand Tour winners; Sepp with La Vuelta, Jay with the Giro, and I’ve also won the Giro, so it was hard to pull away.
“Rather than trying to fall into the trap of attacking, I knew it was a very, very long effort, and I tried to find my rhythm. I think that’s what helped me get there. Keeping my calm, making my effort, obviously all out, as it has to be.
“On the descent, I didn’t know what had happened, and then suddenly I found Sepp. These last kilometers were agonizing. Mamma Mia, I think I suffered right until the very end. In my head, I was thinking, ‘Come on, I have to do it, I have to do it, I have to do it. Today I had the inspiration that it was a very beautiful stage to raise my arms. Like they say in Italian, ‘non mollare, non mollare’ (don’t give up, don’t give up).
“Keeping calm, keeping a cool head. I knew these last four kilometers were going to make a huge difference. In the end, it was spectacular. Look… it hasn’t just been about the legs. It’s been about the experience, knowing hot to race, being smart and intelligent. It’s obviously one of the best stages I’ve won in my sports career.”
-Richard Carapaz
Look back: 1983 Tour de France - (l to r): Laurent Fignon, Patro Jimenez, Jonathan Boyer, Lucien Van Impe and Pedro Delgado.



Comments