Enric Mas (Movistar) became the first rider at this Vuelta a Espana to some time from Tadej Pogacar after the red jersey had launched a committed attack, on the gravel slopes of Puerto El Bartolo.
Mas caught Pogacar near the summit, moved ahead to secure the bonus seconds and stayed with the Slovenian through to the finish in Castellon de la Plana. The Spaniard put in the ride of the day to catch Pogacar, piping him to the top of the Bartolo. On the descent, the Slovenian misjudged a corner, going off the side of the road, but quickly rejoined the race.
Pogacar won their two-rider sprint, but Mas gained 46 seconds on the other leading contenders and climbed above Primoz Roglic into second overall.
“I already said that the heat suited me very well and it was very hot today. You saw that there wasn’t much I could do in the sprint. Pogi is Pogi and we have to take it day by day. I’m second overall and, little by little, I’m starting to feel good. “
-Enric MAs
“Mas flew passed me like a rocket. I was not expecting it because I heard on the radio that I was leading by 40sec and there was no mention of Eric, so he passed me.
I was a little bit shocked. I was happy to be with him in the last 10km into the headwind because I had no water. Chapeau to him.”
-Tadej Pogacar

Comments