Stage 8 of the Vuelta a Espana was calm until the final hour of racing. Tadej Pogacar was forced to withdraw from the race following a crash that left him unable to continue the race. And in the final sprint the stage win was taken by Bryan Coquard (Cofidis) who returned from the ashes to take his first Grand Tour stage win.
Inside the final kilometer, another mass crash took place as Wout Van Aert led out the peloton. His main sprinter Matthew Brennan was not on the wheel, the victory instead fell on the shoulders of Bryan Coquard. The 34-year-old French sprinter beat Mads Pedersen and Jordi Meeus to take a sensational stage win on the day.
“I knew it was a little headwind-crosswind, but in the city, it was more of a headwind. I made my effort at the right moment, using the draft, and I’m so proud and very happy. I’ve waited a long time for this victory, and I’ve worked a lot as well. It’s an amazing, amazing day.
I was not unconfident, but yes, I had some pressure because when you don’t do a good sprint, it’s one opportunity less. You don’t have a lot of opportunities from sprinters in this Vuelta. I wasn’t in a good position in the first two sprints, but I knew I had good legs yesterday in the breakaway. Maybe I climb a little better now, but I’m fast again.”
-Bryan Coquard



Comments