The year was 1983 and I watched, for the first time, the televised Tour de France and marvelled at the intensity of this extraordinary sporting event. One of the riders I admired was Angel Arroyo of Spain, second in the 1983 Tour de France and winner of the Puy-de-Dome time-trial, has passed away today at the age of 70.
The following year, in 1984, I travelled to the famous Cicli Pinarello in Treviso, Italy, and had the honour of meeting the founder, Giovanni Pinarello. I also met and spoke to team manager, Mauro Battaglini who spoke highly of upcoming Canadian Steve Bauer for the 1985 Giavera Di Montello world road championships (Bauer claimed 20th place). For a Canadian kid, pro cycling was new and exciting, and Cicli Pinarello was the eye-opener into this wonderful world. My gracious hosts showed me the busy factory where they produced the legendary Pinarello Montello steel road bikes.
Fondly remembering the exciting 1983 Tour, I purchased the Metamobilli Pinarello jersey and also the authentic Team Reynolds jersey, the official jersey of the 1983 Reynolds pro cycling team that included the great Angel Arroyo.


Comments