Paul Seixas: Monumental

 


Paul Seixas has won the 120th edition of Il Lombardia, becoming the youngest winner in the history of the Monument after destroying the favourites with a scathing attack on the Civiglio. 

The 20-year-old Frenchman rode clear on the steepest climb of the final circuit around Como, putting newly minted European road champion Remco Evenepoel and Isaac del Toro before eventually riding Tom Pidcock and Giulio Ciccone off his wheel as well. Enric Mas took a superb late ride for second, with Ciccone in third. 




“It’s incredible - I still can’t believe it. The team did a fantastic job. Everyone gave more than was expected of them. I trained hard to get here in top shape. I felt great at the start; I told myself it could be a good day. I managed to make my move exactly when I wanted to by setting a fast pace right from the base of the Civiglio climb, then pacing myself very well on the steepest section. At the summit, the gap was good but not big enough to think about winning, so I rode as fast as I possibly could all the way to the finish. I was competing against myself - it was crazy. I started to believe it at the top of the final climb, being careful not to make any mistakes. It’s indescribable - like a dream. I’m going to take some time to let it sink in.”

-Paul Sexias







2026 (7 pro wins)
1st  Overall Tour of the Basque Country
1st  Points classification
1st  Mountains classification
1st  Young rider classification
1st Stages 1 (ITT), 2 & 5
1st Giro di Lombardia
1st La Flèche Wallonne
1st Ardèche Classic
2nd Overall Volta ao Algarve
1st  Young rider classification
1st Stage 2
2nd Liège–Bastogne–Liège
2nd Strade Bianche
2nd Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
3rd  Time trial, UCI World Championships
4th Overall Tour de France

Comments