Friday File: Pure Evil Crash, Italian Icons: Campagnolo Cassette Tool & Francesco Moser






Crashes are pure evil in bike racing. Today's stage 4 of the Tour Down Under had a spectacularly evil one before the finish line. The terrifying scene all caught from the camera of Jeremy Roy of FDJ. Note: The IAM rider squeezing dangerously between the flying bike and the barrier with Roy following. 



"Hope everyone is ok. Don't ask me how I did it!"

- Jeremy Roy on Twitter.











Recent wrenching duties were going so satisfactory that I'd like continue with another installment of Italian icons...




Campagnolo UT-BB080 Cassette Tool
photo Cycling Art




Campagnolo is one of the iconic brands of cycling. Tullio Campagnolo, the founder, invented the big arm corkscrew and the quick release skewer.

I'm now able to easily remove my Campagnolo 11-25T cassette with the Italian made UT-BB080 cassette tool. Using a 12" adjustable wrench and my modify chain whip I'm now able to remove my  cassette to clean it. It also opens up new gearing options for this upcoming season of leg numbing adventures up pleasurable friends: Mt. Seymour, Whytecliff Park and, the not as steep, Burnaby mountain parkway. I'm planning to purchase either the Veloce 13-29T or Centaur 12-27T cassette (paired to my recently acquired 39/53) to finally have a less torturous hilly relationship. Ok, I'm not quite there but that's my goal for this new season. 




Iconic Wine Corkscrew...

Campagnolo Big Corkscrew.





The Campagnolo cassette tool is a solid little tool, same precision and craftsmanship as their bicycle products and looks like I'll be having a good long term friendship with. I suppose I'll use it only a few times during a season changing the obvious desired cassettes. I'm really happy to have it for periodic cassette maintenance. 





Lock ring removed opens up
to a very dirty cassette.
photo Cycling Art




This is the first time I've removed my 2011 Veloce cassette and noticed that it has individual sprockets with spacers. This is not like my one-piece 1980's Regina CX freewheel.The sprockets and spacers must be placed back in the same order. Mindful of this. After a thorough cleaning of each sprocket/spacer and the cassette body, the next step is to put it back on. I greased the cassette body using my old trusty Campy grease and placed the sprockets and spacers back in order remembering to line up the notches. Once my clean cassette is solidly on the last step is to grease the quick release skewer. One of the more important aspects of good maintenance is to have the correct tool(s). For me, it's now very easy and enjoyable using the Campy UT-BB080 cassette tool.





I now have a clean cassette body.
photo Cycling Art





Iconic Italian rider...

Francesco Moser.




Comments