Le Tour de Force

 

Mads Pedersen (2nd), Peter Sagan (3rd) unable to respond to the final winning kick of Sam Bennett.


Sam Bennett takes the unofficial sprinter's world championships, winning a fifth points classification after sean Kelly's four victories in the 1980s.

"I'm still proud of what I've achieved, and still proud to do part of what he's done, even if it's not a quarter of what he's achieved.

To do the Champs-Elysees with the green jersey, it's just - oh, man. I never even dreamed about the green jersey because I never thought I'd be good enough to have it.

Green jersey. Champ-Elysees, the world championships of sprinting! All the suffering through the mountains. So worth it now.

- Sam Bennett.




"I had a great talk in the bunch with Matteo Trentin. He's a great guy whom I've got to know over the last three weeks. He found just the right words, congratulated me on what I'd done. We agreed today was just the start of a long process..."

- Kevin Reza. B&B Hotels-Vital Concept. He is the only black rider in this year's edition and has highlighted pro cycling's silence on Black Lives Matter.














Look back: Sean Kelly's final green jersey (no. 4) in 1989



Comments