Cofidis: Looking at positives

 

Guillaume Martin in the lead on the picturesque Col de la Gineste


The GP La Marseillaise is the first race on the French calendar and it was certainly a blast to watch. It started with the breakaway of seven riders on the difficult Route des Cretes (9% at 3km). Guillaume Martin went on the attack with 30kms to go dropping his breakaway companions taking the lead at the top of the Col de la Gineste only to lose his lead on the descent into Marseille. Meanwhile, the French team's newly acquire sprinter, Bryan Coquard waited for his time...


"Tactically we didn't really know what to do between playing Bryan Coquard's card 100% or trying to participate in the attacks. I had really good feelings so I went upfront. I think I was the most strong from the race today so it's encouraging. The course was not favorable to arrive alone, with the headwind and a fairly rolling bump, but it's a good way to start the year."

-Guillaume Martin

"I missed my sprint a bit. I couldn't really sprint, I was in the ball and I had to stop pedaling several times in the final. We didn't find each other very well, and I had in mind last year when I launched too far. I was told this a lot, even at the briefing this morning, and I think I waited a little too long, in any case I did not find the opening."

-Bryan Coquard


GP La Marseillaise full results 





Comments