TDF stage 16: I‘m going to fight to the end in Nice

 


Biniam Girmay felled on the technical final in Nimes of stage 16 of the Tour de France. The last chance for the sprinters to grab a win. He suffered no fractures, but bruises to his right shoulder and knee and right elbow. He was guided by his team-mates and finished the stage. Girmay scored 15 points in the intermediate sprint and he now has a 32-point lead over runner-up Jasper Philipsen, the day's winner.

"It was a very nervous finish, as it was the last chance for the sprinters to get a stage win and there were a lot of traffic circles in the last ten kilometers. The team battled to stay ahead, the road narrowed before the last kilometer and I touched another rider's handlebars. I braked hard but it was impossible to avoid the crash. Fortunately, I was able to get back on the bike and finish the stage. I got stitches in my knee and elbow. I consider myself lucky. Mentally I'm not down, far from it, actually I'm going to fight to the end in Nice."
-Biniam Girmay

"Fortunately, the medical exams did not reveal any fractures. Biniam has contusions on his right shoulder, elbow and knee. His right elbow injuries required two stitches. Despite this setback, Biniam is in fighting spirit and will be ready for the start of stage 17 tomorrow."
-Simon Claeys (Doctor).









Comments