TDF stage 21: Making history


 

“This year was really special for me. Coming into the Tour against Remco and Jonas and Primoz, the expectations were high for a big battle and showdown. I think that we threw so many punches to  each other in the race, everybody showed balls at one point in the race, every single one of the riders from first to last.”

-Tadej Pogacar. Wins his third Tour de France and is the first rider in 26 years to do the Giro-Tour double.


“I don’t have the words. I didn’t come to this Tour de France with the ambition of winning the green jersey, but simply to demonstrate my qualities. You could say I succeeded. I’m grateful to everyone who helped me finish this Tour with the green jersey. When I woke up, I thanked God for this unforgettable day. I’m overwhelmed with emotions.

My adventure on this Tour opens a new chapter in the history of cycling, for us Eritreans and Africans. We’ve been cycling for a long time, but winning stages and a green jersey, it’s now possible. It’s something special. I want to thanks my compatriots and everyone who supported me, my family, my team,  our sponsors, the supporters by the roadside, behind their screens. Thank you.”
-Biniam Girmay. The 24-year-old Eritrean rider became the first African rider to win the points classification in the 121-year history of the Grand Boucle.

“This is a historic Tour de France for Intermarché-Wanty. Of course, thanks to Biniam Girmay, but the credit also goes to the entire team who performed at an exceptionally high level. It’s an extraordinary feat. Biniam is still young, it’s only his second Tour, and we had three rookies here. This shows the potential of our team. Biniam finished the job, and the whole team was lifted.”
-Aike Visbeek. Performance Manager. 





“It’s been a really hard Tour and today my legs are sore. I am very tired, but happy. It was a really nice Tour in the end. When I got to Italy, where we started, I had some doubts because of the crash. I wasn’t in good health. I hadn’t found my form. But over the duration of the Tour, I’ve gotten better and better, and for me that’s been super good. By the second week, I’d found my legs and then I knew what I could do. That’s what’s been the best for me, finishing the week the way we have, winning the stage, being the King of the Mountains champions, and in the way that we’ve shown we can do it. 

For me, this is the best team to work with, because we were all very clear on what our goals were and that helped us a lot with our objectives. That is what made the difference. We’re a team that works as a team. Personal results are for the whole team - the riders, the staff - everyone has worked super well this whole Tour.”
-Richard Carapaz becomes the first Ecuadorian rider to win the mountains classification, wear the yellow jersey and win a Tour stage.

Top-ten: Derek Gee finishes 9th on GC. He is off to the Paris Olympics 
and will ride the TT and road race.


And the beer should follow.


Comments