La Vuelta stage 12 An emotional victory

 


Pablo Castrillo (Kern Pharma) claimed a emotional victory on stage 12 of La Vuelta. The young Spaniard takes his first professional victory and his team’s firs ever Grand Tour stage win on the day after their founder and leader Manolo Ancona passed away, at the age of 71. Some 70 riders turned professional through Azcona’s teams.On the slopes of the Manzaneda mountain resort, Castrillo broke away, with Max Poole in second, ahead of Marc Soler, another disciple of Azcona.

“It’s an amazing victory, it’s unbelievable. It’s for the team and for the staff. Honestly, I still don’t believe it. I’ve won my first stage at the Vuelta. I’m going to dedicate the victory to my team, my family, and a very special person Azcona, who died last night, and I was thinking about him today.”
-Pablo Castrillo


Look back: Jack of all trades

Comments