Stage 11: BBB's Podcast... The Movember Edition




Riding on Stage 11, we're both supporting Movember with our 'staches to help raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer.

And what better way than to take our 'staches on a retro ride back and talk about Sean Kelly. I first saw the King of the Classics Irish star on CBS's Sports Sunday back in 1984. That was his first Paris-Roubaix win in classic fashion overcoming the harsh conditions that I've never witness before ... I became a fan. He was adopted as a Flandrien by the Belgium fans and how could you not cheer for this underdog rider. Kelly was certainly born to ride the pavé.

We have two excellent book reviews. Guy talks about,  'Kelly: A Biography of Sean Kelly' by David Walsh. I present my very first cycling book, 'The Fabulous World of Cycling,' by Winning Productions. It's a fine pictorial glimpse back with amazing images by photographer, Aldo Tonnoir and written by Eddy Merckx.

Everyone that's following my blog knows that my Marinoni is off for restoration and please visit back for updates on this wonderful journey.

Supporting the Movember theme, Guy talks about a famous 'stache rider that conquered the 'circle of death' in the 1910 Tour. I go to the 1985 Giro and have just the right 'stache rider to showcase. And, we cover our ride wearing two of Galstudio's cycling caps: the Ventoux & Cima Coppi. Our podcast is not complete without our customary drink.

Enjoy our Movember ride!



1984...
Kelly's Flandrien ride.

Comments

Jason said…
Both you and Guy look very distinguished with your mustaches.

The guinness sparking white wine cocktail is a new one on me. I'll give it a go at some point soon.
Richard said…
Jason,

I think you'll enjoy the cocktail, Cheers!
Unknown said…
Make sure you check out the new Granfondo Axel Merckx site at http://www.granfondoaxelmerckx.com

Eddy will be joining Axel at this event - will be awesome!!
Richard said…
Eddy will be there! Fantastic!