A Wheelie Good Time

Pride in place and enjoying the espresso
& company.
photo: John Lee






After missing the last two Frfuggitivi rides, I looked forward to joining our Sunday squadra for today's ride through hilly UBC and to a favorite espresso stop called Faubourg Cafe. 

It all started relatively innocent enough...

Do you remember when your most embarrassing moment on the bike was? 

I do... 

Before the cafe stop, I turned the corner gingerly and whilst clearing my nostril I leaned into the corner and gravity took over me and won. I'm not one to fall off my bike so easily but it was a slow motion moment that I will remember for a little while. Too late to disengage my pedal, I landed on my right side on the sidewalk breaking my fall. I'm a little sore but nothing broken except for my pride. The funny moment was immediately after falling, a few of the guys asked if my bike was ok. Philip and I talked before about riding and the  boyhood like fun we feel. Afterwards, I chuckled and said to Philip that one has to 'fall' at least once as part of the 'fun'. I'm now convince of that. 

Today's ride was a forewarning that the weather is changing towards Fall. Fog and drizzle prompted me to put the new Flemish Fall wool cap and TØRM Jersey to the test. The Flemish cap deserves high praise for the superfine wool and smart looks that makes a light, warm and comfortable cap- perfect for today's Fall weather.

I thought today wasn't cool enough to wear my new Merino/polyester T5 long sleeve jersey by TØRM. That's the well made and very cool retro design jersey that I won in theoutdoortimes contest. I was more than glad I wore it, it kept me warm at times too warm but it pass the Fall test with flying colors. 


Now that my embarrassing cycling moment has passed and gone, I'm reminded by Philip that now I won't have another one for another twenty years... I'll buy that!




Going solo and the win.
via Cannondale Pro Cycling




Peter Sagan's time in North America paid off winning the GP Cycliste de Montréal!

Watching his solo win is proof that his next jersey could be the rainbow stripes in Florence. The only thing stopping him is Slovakia can only field a team of six riders while the top eight teams have nine. Then again, his strength and riding smarts can take the place of the missing three riders! Terminator had plans for a Quebéc sweep... he got one.


"I wanted Quebéc and Montréal and I won only one, but no, I'm happy I want to come (back) next year and we'll see."

- Peter Sagan


Ryder Hesjedal has found form. He attacked on the last lap on the Polytechnique but Sagan blew by him. 

"Hats off to Peter - that was a strong move. I didn't expect anyone to come around me on the Polytechnique and there he went."

- Ryder Hesjedal



2013 Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal

1/ Peter Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cycling) - 5h20'06"
2/ Simone Ponzi (Astana) - +0'04"
3/ Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin-Sharp)
4/ Greg van Avermaet (BMC Racing Team) - +0'07"
5/ Filippo Pozzato (Lampre-Merida)
6/ Rui Costa (Movistar Team)
7/ Enrico Gasparotto (Astana)
8/ Lars Petter Nordhaug (Belkin Pro Cycling Team) - +0'09"
9/ Ion Izagirre (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
10/ Jan Bakelants (Radioshack-Leopard)





Sagan's wheelie good time!





Comments